Long Island has been known to have some pretty harsh winters. Take last year’s winter months for example! We had a few large snowstorms.
When the cold weather comes, it comes fast. There’s still enough time in the next few weeks to prepare your home for the winter, before it gets too cold. If you are anything like us at Charles Rutenberg Realty, we want everything done before it’s too late. And we’re freezing!
Here’s what we recommend to start preparing your home for winter:
- Tune Up Your Heating System: Get a technician to inspect your furnace or heat pump to be sure the system is clean and in good repair.
- Reverse Your Ceiling Fans: If your ceiling fan has a reverse switch, use it to run the fan’s blades in a clockwise direction after you turn on your heat.
- Clean the Gutters: If your gutters are full of detritus, water can back up against the house and damage roofing, siding and wood trim.
- Turn Off Exterior Faucets: Undrained water in pipes can freeze, which will cause pipes to burst as the ice expands. Start by disconnecting all garden hoses and draining the water that remains in faucets.
- Drain Your Lawn-Irrigation System: Draining sprinkler-system pipes, as with spigots, will help avoid freezing and leaks.
- Don’t Prune Trees or Shrubs Until Late-Winter: Horticulturalists advise waiting to prune until late winter for most plants, when they’ve been long dormant and just before spring growth begins.
- Call a Chimney Sweep: Before you burn the Yule log, make sure your fireplace, chimney and vents are clean and in good repair.
- Restock Winter Essentials: Make sure you have snow shovels and a roof rake on hand. Stock your ice melting compound to melt ice on walkways. Have your snow blower and generator serviced and any necessary repairs made.
Prepare you home now for winter so you can avoid any damage to your home from the cold!
Latest posts by Joe Moshe (see all)
- Vote for Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc. - November 15, 2017
- Tax Plan Should Also Include Local and State Tax Deduction to Benefit Homeowners - November 12, 2017
- Pam & Joe Honored as Heroes at CHI 25th Anniversary - November 9, 2017