Reducing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet is one of the best ways to lose weight.
An easy way to start is by removing the unhealthiest carb sources from your diet such as white bread, rice and pasta and added sugars and you’ll be on your way to improved health.
Low-carb diets also have benefits that go way beyond just weight loss. They lower blood sugar, blood pressure and triglycerides. They raise HDL (the good) and improve the pattern of LDL (the bad) cholesterol. The key is sticking to real, unprocessed foods and healthy carb sources. If you want to improve your health, then choose food such as lean meats, fish, eggs, vegetables, nuts, healthy fats fruits and low-fat dairy products.
There is no clear definition of exactly what constitutes a “low carb diet” and what is “low” for one person may not be “low” for the next. An individual’s optimal carb intake depends on age, gender, body composition, activity levels, personal preference, food culture and current metabolic health.
However, there are some general guidelines on where to start depending on your goals. Here they are:
- 100-150 Grams Per Day. This is more of a “moderate” carbohydrate intake. It is very appropriate for people who are lean, active and simply trying to stay healthy and maintain their weight. It is very possible to lose weight at this (and any) carb intake, but it may require you to count calories and/or control portions. Eat all the vegetables you can imagine, several pieces of fruit per day and some healthy starches like potatoes, sweet potatoes and healthier grains like rice and oats.
- 50-100 Grams Per Day. This range is great if you want to lose weight effortlessly while allowing for a bit of carbs in the diet. It is also a great maintenance range for people who are carb sensitive. Eat plenty of vegetables, 2-3 pieces of fruit per day and minimal amounts of starchy carbohydrates.
- 20-50 Grams Per Day. This is where the metabolic benefits really start to kick in. This is the perfect range for people who need to lose weight fast. When eating less than 50 grams per day, your body will get into ketosis, supplying energy for the brain via so-called ketone bodies. This is likely to kill your appetite and cause you to lose weight automatically. Eat plenty of low-carb vegetables, berries, trace carbs from other foods like avocados, nuts and seeds.
A low-carb, healthy diet is simple! Just eat some protein, healthy fats and veggies at every meal. Throw in some nuts, seeds and full-fat dairy products for good measure and choose unprocessed foods.
Latest posts by Joe Moshe (see all)
- Vote for Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc. - November 15, 2017
- Tax Plan Should Also Include Local and State Tax Deduction to Benefit Homeowners - November 12, 2017
- Pam & Joe Honored as Heroes at CHI 25th Anniversary - November 9, 2017