Spring is right around the corner and so is green grass…hopefully!
With March’s warm(er) weather, now is a great time to get a jumpstart on getting your lawn ready the spring and summer months. Here’s what you should and shouldn’t do to your lawn in March:
- Test Your Lawn’s pH – Professionally testing your lawn’s pH every 2-3 years will give you a good idea of which minerals (and how much of each) is best for your individual lawn.
- Apply Lime in Early Spring Months – Depending on your soils, pH, you may need no lime, a small amount, or a great deal in order to maximize the spring growth.
- Do Not Over–fertilize – Avoid throwing down too much fertilizer at the first sign of green grass growth. In reality, the best thing to do is to apply a light amount of fertilizer in early spring, and then apply a larger dose a bit later in the season, after the initial growth.
- Reseed & Water Thoroughly – As part of the spring startup process, dead or damaged grass patches should be reseeded in early March or April. The most important thing to do is to provide newly developing seeds with enough water for proper growth and development.
- Choose the Right Grass Type for Your Lawn & Climate – There are over 9,000 species of grasses, so choosing the right one for your lawn may not be quite as simple as you think. Ask the experts at your nuresry.
- Do Not Mow Too Short – Grass will grow best at approximately two inches and higher, so keep it a minimum of this height during the first few cuts in spring.
- Apply Herbicides to Control Crabgrass – Mid-March is the best time to control crabgrass, because it will not be up and growing yet. Once the crabgrass has significantly grown and developed, herbicides will have less of an effect on them.
If you are unsure about any of these tips, you can always ask the experts at your local nursery or Home Depot or Lowes.
Latest posts by Joe Moshe (see all)
- Vote for Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc. - November 15, 2017
- Tax Plan Should Also Include Local and State Tax Deduction to Benefit Homeowners - November 12, 2017
- Pam & Joe Honored as Heroes at CHI 25th Anniversary - November 9, 2017