We are all guilty of complaing that there is just not enought time in the day. Most of the time alot of the things we need to get done get put off at the last minute because we allow entirely too many interruptions.
Being happy, effective and successful in your career and in life is possible if you are vigilant about making people respect your time. Although it may not be intentional, If people are disrespecting your time, they are disrespecting you.
Here are few ways to become an excellent manager of your time:
- Stop overcommitting. Respect your own time by being realistic in your plans for the day, week, month, and year.
- Get a solid time and date. Make sure you get a specific date and time when someone wants to schedule an appoitment or meet with you.
- It’s Not an Emergency on Your Part. Just because it’s an emergency for them doesn’t mean it’s an emergency for you, and just because it’s convenient for them doesn’t mean it’s convenient for you. Realize that it’s not okay for people to impose on your schedule. Make them wait. They’ll get over it.
- Cut people off. If people keep disrespecting your time, cut them off. Give yourself a time frame where you will distance yourself from that person. Maybe it’s 2 weeks. Maybe it’s 2 months. Maybe it’s forever. Trust yourself and make the right decision for yourself.
- Learn the power of the “high-quality no”. A high-quality no has no negativity underneath what you’re saying. It’s simply a no, as in, “No, my priorities won’t allow me to do that.” – you’re coming from the right place when you say it.
- Go Elsewhere. Work with someone else. If you are working with someone and they don’t respect your time, find another place to do business with people who do!
Remember when it comes to your career and your life, you have to get good at protecting yourself, and that is especially true of your time. People don’t have to like it; all they have to do is understand it.
Latest posts by Joe Moshe (see all)
- Vote for Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc. - November 15, 2017
- Tax Plan Should Also Include Local and State Tax Deduction to Benefit Homeowners - November 12, 2017
- Pam & Joe Honored as Heroes at CHI 25th Anniversary - November 9, 2017